David Feherty teams exclusively with NBC Sports Group and NBCUniversal
Story published at 8:58, Friday, September 18th, 2015
NBC Sports Group announced that David Feherty will make NBCUniversal his exclusive media home, which will include adding Feherty to NBC’s golf tournament coverage team, including the Olympics; an extension of his award-winning series Feherty on Golf Channel; and a slate of new ventures highlighted by a Universal Television development deal.
Described as ‘a cross between Oprah Winfrey and Johnny Carson’ by The New York Times, Feherty has made a name for himself not only through his self-titled Golf Channel talk show, but as one of the most irrepressible personalities calling golf over the past two decades.
A native of Northern Ireland and a former professional golfer who scored 10 worldwide victories and a spot on the 1991 European Ryder Cup Team, Feherty is now a proud American citizen who has risen above a history of alcoholism and addiction to become an Emmy-nominated television host, New York Times best-selling author and comedic relief for thousands of men and women in uniform.
“I’m really looking forward to this next step in my career, but I’ll miss a lot of people who have had my back for nearly 20 years. And to be honest, I’m on the verge of soiling myself,” said David Feherty, NBC Sports golf analyst and host. “However, I am looking forward to new challenges and opportunities at NBC and Golf Channel. I haven’t yet heard the over-under on me getting fired, but hey, I beat the odds the last time.”
“David is a true talent who connects with people from all walks of life because of his ability to transition from hilarious to heartfelt so smoothly,” said Mike McCarley, president of Golf Channel. “Now we will be able to showcase his unique voice across a wide array of NBCUniversal assets, including from the biggest stages in global sports and entertainment.”
In his new role with NBC Sports, Feherty will be a walking and tower analyst on NBC and Golf Channel, primarily for their slate of marquee PGA TOUR events, including the ‘Florida Swing’, THE PLAYERS, and FedExCup Playoffs.
Additionally, Feherty will be a fixture on NBC Sports’ coverage of the Olympic Games, Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup, as well as select PGA of America and European Tour events. Feherty also will call golf’s original championship, once NBC Sports becomes the home of The Open Championship in 2017.
“I have admired David’s unique perspective on golf telecasts for years,” said Tommy Roy, 30-time Emmy Award winning producer, NBC Sports. “His addition to the Golf Channel and NBC team will further enhance our coverage of this game we love, and also help David rise to new levels professionally with the exclusive opportunity to call golf at the Olympics, Ryder Cup and The Open Championship.”
In addition to calling golf at a majority of NBC’s 24 golf events on broadcast television in 2016, Feherty’s addition to the NBCUniversal family also includes:
- First Look Development Deal: Universal Television, a division of NBCUniversal, has secured a first-look development deal with Feherty, providing him a new creative outlet for potential entertainment projects.
- FEHERTY: Golf Channel has extended his award-winning self-titled talk show, Feherty, which helped propel him to a 2014 Emmy Award nomination for Outstanding Sports Host. Feherty will continue to go one-on-one with some of the biggest names across golf, sports, entertainment, politics and business and NBCUniversal can now feature Feherty across any of its networks, including NBC, and internationally.
- MORNING DRIVE and GOLF CENTRAL: Feherty will continue to be a regular guest on Golf Channel’s two daily news programs, Morning Drive and Golf Central, including when Golf Central goes “Live From” golf’s biggest events.
- FEHERTY Digital Home: Exclusive Feherty long- and short-form content will have a dedicated digital home, reflective of his unique personality.
- FEHERTY “OFF TOUR” Stage Show: Golf Channel to collaborate with Feherty on his one-man stage show.