Costa Brava to announce ‘50 Years of Golf’ celebrations at IGTM
Story published at 12:03, Friday, October 2nd, 2015
To commemorate 50 years of golf in Costa Brava, the award-winning destination is naming 2016 the ‘Year of Golf & Gastronomy’ with full details to be announced at the International Golf Travel Market (IGTM) in Tenerife, 5-8 October.
The region’s first golf course, Golf Platja de Pals, opened nine-holes in 1966, with the full 18 completed just two years later, and subsequently staged the 1972 Spanish Open.
The culturally rich corner of northeast Spain now boasts nine venues catering for every golfer’s needs – from the award-winning layouts at PGA Catalunya Resort, Spain’s official candidate host venue for the 2022 Ryder Cup, to the 18-hole par-3s, like Pitch & Putt Gualta, ideal for novices, junior golfers and players who want to hone their short games.
The Costa Brava’s reputation as one of the world’s leaders in gastronomy is underlined by its high concentration of Michelin starred restaurants – 13 in close proximity to the city of Girona which boasts the World’s Best Restaurant, El Celler de Can Roca.
Ramón Ramos, Director of Costa Brava Girona Tourist Board, said: “The ‘Year of Golf & Gastronomy’ will celebrate two of our greatest passions.
“With one of the best courses in Europe and the best restaurant in the world on our doorstep, countless tailored packages will be available for all tourists visiting the region, and we look forward to discussing these with tour operators at IGTM.”
The Costa Brava’s golf venues include:
- PGA Catalunya Resort – Home to Spain’s No.1 golf course* and Europe’s Best Golf Resort 2015**
- Golf Platja de Pals – Costa Brava’s oldest golf course, situated on the Spanish seafront
- Club de Golf Costa Brava – One of the region’s oldest courses and a good test for all standards of player
- Torremirona Golf Club – Enjoying wonderful views of the Pyrenees
- Club de Golf Peralada – The region’s northern-most course designed to environmentally-friendly specifications
- Par 3 Gualta – Ideal for those looking to perfect their short game or new to the game
- Club Golf d’Aro – Mas Nou – 300m above sea level and offering stunning vistas of the coast
- Emporda Golf – Featuring two distinct 18 hole courses designed by Robert von Hagge
- Golf Girona – Located just four kilometers from the centre of Girona.
Alternatively, visit the stand (B001) located on the ground level of the Magma Arte & Congresos in Tenerife.
* Voted by top100golfcourses.co.uk
** Voted by members of IAGTO (International Association of Golf Tour Operators)