Costa Brava, to stage IAGTO Golf Trophy 2016
Story published at 12:07, Friday, October 30th, 2015
Costa Brava, the award-winning golf destination in northeast Spain, is to welcome more than 50 golf tour operators from 17 countries for the second IAGTO Golf Trophy on May 20-26, 2016.
Following its successful inauguration in 2015, the event, which combines networking, destination briefings and a workshop of scheduled meetings with a bespoke golf tournament, will coincide with Costa Brava’s ’Year of Golf & Gastronomy’, celebrating 50 years of golf in the region.
Along with 13 Michelin starred restaurants, including Restaurant magazine’s Best in the World, El Celler de Can Roca, Costa Brava also boasts nine world class golf venues, including Spain’s official candidate host venue for The 2022 Ryder Cup and number one golf course*, PGA Catalunya Resort, that will stage the tournament aspect of the 2016 IAGTO Golf Trophy on 24th May.
Marta Felip, Vice President of the Costa Brava Tourist Board, part of the Provincial Council of Girona, confirmed the agreement for the region to stage the event at the recent International Golf Travel Market (IGTM) 2015, in Tenerife, where the contract was signed with IAGTO President, Peter Walton.
He said: “Costa Brava is already a popular destination for golfers from across the continent and as a global capital of golf and gastronomy, the region’s many attractions are both on and off the course.
“It is testament to the quality of the golf venues in Costa Brava that the region is celebrating 50 years of golf in 2016, and it is exciting to be part of that by showcasing it to the world’s golf travel industry via the IAGTO Golf Trophy.”
The Costa Brava’s golf venues include:
• PGA Catalunya Resort – Three time Spanish Open venue and Europe’s Best Golf Resort 2015**
• Golf Platja de Pals – 1972 Spanish Open venue and one of Costa Brava’s oldest golf courses, situated on the Spanish seafront
• Club de Golf Costa Brava – One of the region’s oldest courses and a good test for all standards of player
• Torremirona Golf Club – Enjoying wonderful views of the Pyrenees
• Club de Golf Peralada – The region’s northern-most course designed to environmentally-friendly specifications
• Par 3 Gualta – Ideal for those looking to perfect their short game or new to the game
• Club Golf d’Aro – Mas Nou – 300m above sea level and offering stunning vistas of the coast
• Emporda Golf – Featuring two distinct 18 hole courses designed by Robert von Hagge
• Golf Girona – Located just four kilometers from the centre of Girona.
Marta Felip commented: “With so many leading golf tour operators visiting Costa Brava for the IAGTO Golf Trophy, we have an ideal opportunity to immerse them in our diverse culture and demonstrate the potential value of the region to their businesses, by offering the same experience that brings golfers from across Europe year-after-year.”
Additional information on Costa Brava can be found at www.costabrava.org and http://en.costabrava.org/what-to-do/golf
* Voted by top100golfcourses.co.uk
** Voted by members of IAGTO (International Association of Golf Tour Operators)